Thursday, October 17, 2013

Woah, Double Review: Unspoken and Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan







This series.
Yes.
Can't form.
Coherent sentences.







So this series came to me via recommendation from one of my professors, and the second I picked it up, I was absolutely hooked. The idea is so interesting to me: Kami is in love with the boy in her head, the imaginary friend who never went away. Sure, this idea sounds so romantic in theory- someone knowing your every thought and always being with you, but Kami soon realizes that it's actually an absolute nightmare. Especially since when they meet, they're completely disgusted by the sight of each other. The Jared in her head is nothing like the Jared in real life and it takes a lot of time for Kami to accept that. Besides all that drama, there's this entire paranormal situation that deals with sorcery and sacrifice and it's totally awesome!

Here's what I liked: As I said earlier, I love the idea behind the story. It's a psychological fact (and trust me, I had a lecture over this on Monday in Developmental Psych) that most of us grew up having an imaginary friend of some sort at some point in our lives. Now imagine that your imaginary friend is actually real and nothing like you expected him/her to be like. So that's what Kami and Jared are dealing with. I also loved the idea of the quaint British town that is actually run by sorcerers who, half want things to stay the way they are while the other half wants to go back to demanding sacrifices to ensure protection. Pretty nifty concept.

Oh, and the characters are the best. Like, they might be some of my favorite characters in a series right now. They're so distinctly different from each other but able to come together for the same cause. I like how mysterious the Lynburn family is, how lazy but loyal the Montgomery kids are, and how bad-ass Kami is. Kami is a winner, she's achieved rock star status without doing anything other than being herself. As an investigative journalist, she'd do anything for her story and always has a witty remark to go with it. It has a humor along the lines of The Mortal Instrument series as far as one liners, and the female characters are written with a lot of strength like something along the lines of Caroline Forbes, River Song, Veronica Mars, Buffy Summers, etc.  Overall, it's a series that'll leave you sitting at the edge of your seat panicking about what can possibly happen next. It'll also leave you with a lot of feelings and a little trace of depression when you realize you have to wait about a year for the next book... So there's that...

What I didn't like: I can't think of anything that I didn't like. I really can't. So I'm going to leave it at that.

Read this series, I promise you won't regret it (unless you hate humor, think girls are dumb, and just dislike books in general- thought if that's the case, why are you reading my blog ya crazy?). And when you do read it, you can join me in the anticipation for the next book (I hear a rumor that someone's going to die... dun dun DUN), and we can wait patiently (jk) together.

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment