Thursday, December 19, 2013

Authors of 2013


Well, another year has come and gone, but boy was it a good year for YA books! Some of my favorite books have come out of 2013, which makes me only a million times more excited for what next year is going to bring. Obviously, we would be nowhere without the amazing authors behind these books, so as this year is finishing up, I've decided to celebrate some of my favorite authors of 2013. Let's have a round of applause for them!

So, without further ado, here are Books, A Novel Idea's Authors of 2013!

-Veronica Roth
When you can take a risk like she did and it pays off so well, you definitely earn a spot on the Authors of 2013 list! Not only did Veronica finish her best-selling series this year, but the Divergent trilogy really went out with a bang (no pun intended). She's an amazing writer, and I can't wait to see what's ahead for her. Also, every time I remember that Divergent the movie comes out in 2014, I can't help but squeal in excitement.

-Rainbow Rowell
So she published two books in 2013, and not only that, but they were all everyone could talk about this year! Now, I've only read Fangirl, but that alone made me love Rainbow with all my heart. And Eleanor and Park is on my Christmas list/to be read list so I'll get to that hopefully soon. Did I mention that Fangirl (her second novel) was the very first book in the Tumblr book club? Super big deal!

-John Green
Okay, so John didn't exactly have anything published this year but I still feel like this was the Year of John Green. To me, it seemed like he was everywhere (and I really wouldn't have it any other way). This was the year The Fault in Our Stars was made into a movie to be released next year, ergo, this year should go down in history. Oh, and the poster was released yesterday so feel free to freak out with me about it!
(raise you hand if you cried when you saw this! *raises both hands and a foot*)
Also, the Vlogbrothers were up to so much this year, I can't even sum it up in one post! Including Project for Awesome which just ended yesterday and raised money for charity. Gotta love the Green brothers!

-J.K. Rowling
Yes, her new book wasn't a YA book or anything, but girlfriend managed to publish a book without ANY OF US KNOWING.Why do I feel like MI6 was somehow involved in that? So she gets a thousand props for being able to pull that off AND because her book was fantastic (so I've heard from multiple reliable sources- it's also on my TBR list).

-Maureen Johnson
If you do not follow this woman on Twitter, then we can't be friends. But for real. I feel like all I do is respond to or retweet her tweets, but because the woman is hysterical. And she has a super cute puppy named Zelda. Oh and she's written one of my favorite series (aka my go to recommendation), The Shades of London series, and 2013 was the year that the second book came out. I mighta kinda sorta threw the book across the room after reading it, and I won't be the same until the next book comes out (fingers crossed that it's in 2014!).

Honorable Mentions:
-Sarah Rees Brennan- because of this awesome article and because this was the year I discovered The Lynburn Legacy series and fell in love.
-Cassandra Clare- because this is the year that Clockwork Princess came out and City of Bones was made a movie and was awesome and perfect so yeah.

So now, for next week, the day after Christmas, I will be reading and reviewing Weaver by Katherine Arandez (synopsis from her website).
As a sorceress of Kervanian descent, Kate Merin's reality has always been a bit more than the average human's. But her life is turned upside down when she and her two brothers, Albert and Micheal, stumble across a portal in the woods which transports them back to 465 BH (Late Cretaceous era). There, they find the earth inhabited by their ancestors, the Kervanians, a race originally from the far-off moon of Kervanis. 

The three siblings must now team up with their predecessors in their quest to return home. Along the way, they face magic they never knew existed, brave dangers they never imagined, and discover things about themselves and their family that they never could have guessed. 

Kate soon learns, however, that there were far greater forces than an old, faulty Portal working to send them back to the Cretaceous period, and that she and her family have been chosen to play a great role in a vast plan orchestrated by an extremely powerful being. The only question is: Will Kate survive long enough to fulfill her destiny while caught in the middle of a war spanning countless millenia and several universes?


-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment