Thursday, June 5, 2014

Masque of the Red Death, by Bethany Griffin

(3/5 stars)

I LOVED this book and I HATED this book and I was literally flip flopping every other sentence. I hadn't planned on writing a review for this one, but after not being able to sleep for multiple hours, I decided that I had to talk to someone about it! Lucky, you guys. 

What I liked: This is a really interesting world. The premise is really cool. Now, I've never read Poe's story, but I think I'm going to have to. I like the idea of an airborne illness that kills anyone that comes in contact with it. It's not a world that I personally want to live in, but it totally works for the story! The Debauchery Club is scary but intriguing--I would definitely hang out there...maybe once and then be done (unless I was guaranteed my own Will).  Oh, Will. My sweet, darling Will. I am Team Will and I'm not even sorry about it--Elliott was very sociopathic in my opinion. Yes, Will is involved in a *super big time plot twist that I'm not going to spoil* but I don't even care. Maybe it's because I got way to emotionally attached to his little sister and brother, Elise and Henry. Those kids have my heart, probably because they reminded me so much of my little cousins that I used to nanny for, but they were my favorites and the main characters that I held dear to me while reading. I also really liked that Araby was an alcoholic/drug abuser because it added some depth to her (kinda sorta lackluster-more on that later) personality. That and the death of her brother caused me to sympathize with her, and she seemed more realistic with those qualities.

What I didn't like: Remember, I HATED this book. Mostly, I hated the character motivations (or lack there of). What were the Princes's motivations for being evil? I get that he wanted power, but there has to be something more than just that. Next. Why did Araby just instantly betray her father and trust Elliott? I get he's cute, girl, I get it. But she didn't even hesitate. "Hi cute boy, you want my family secrets? Here you go!". Next. What the heck is up with Elliott? Sure, he's passionate about the rebellion, and smart and stuff, but he's a grade A jerk. There were a few moments when I kind of liked him, but they were rare and short lived. I just don't see the appeal. But really, when I all comes down to it, I think my main problem was with Araby and her lack of self. She was confused at the unimportant things and then didn't even think of hesitating at the important stuff. Example: Her emotions were all over the place for a lack-luster love triangle that she didn't seem committed to, herself, while she has no problem betraying her family or hating her mother without reason. 

But also don't forget, I LOVED this book. I couldn't put it down and I wanted to talk about it with everyone I saw. I'm emotionally conflicted over it, therapy will probably cost me thousands. I haven't decided if I want to read the sequel yet. Do I dare put myself through even more of this turmoil? Decisions, decisions. 

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment