Thursday, September 11, 2014

Heir of Fire, by Sarah J. Maas

(5/5 stars)

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy. 

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?

Like, I really don't know what to say about this one; it was just so ugh!! So instead of doing a normal review, I thought I'd include the thoughts that I had recorded on GoodReads while reading the book:


As per usual when it comes to Sarah's books, I absolutely loved it. At first, I was feeling like the book was going to be very filler and not move the overall plot along, but then I was hooked. As you can see, my heart was pounding all over the place--for good and bad reasons. And that end, dear Lord, that end. 

I loved how character driven this installment was. We learned so much more about everyone, and they're all going through a big change right now that we're slowly getting to watch. Also, I didn't think it was possible, but the world got even bigger. This is THE world-building book. If you ever need to want to know how to world-build, follow the example set by this series. The details are exquisite and I love the way it's all weaved together. 

My only complaint is that there was no Chaol/Celaena interaction (I still love them as a couple, regardless of any new characters *clears throat* that might also be perfect for her but we'll see how that plays out), but it's okay because there are going to be 3 MORE BOOKS! Oh, and yeah, I'm not happy about my broken heart at the end...but time heals all wounds?

-Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment