Thursday, November 27, 2014

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

(5/5 stars)

What would you change?

Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 

Marina has loved her best friend, James, since they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it... at least, not as the girl she once was. Em and Marina are in a race against time that only one of them can win.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

Well, this is the last week of Sci-Fi November. I know, I know, I'm extremely sad as well, but what a successful month it was! So much lovely sci-fi things happened and I'm so thankful that I was able to participate yet again. So, to finish the event, I thought I'd end with a book recommendation that I discovered from last year's Sci-Fi Month. 

I was recommended All Our Yesterdays last year by the lovely Rinn, and sadly, it took me a whole year to read it. I want to add that it was totally not my fault that I couldn't find it anywhere! But eventually I found it and ohmygoshyouguysthisbook. 

What I liked: This plot was so completely intricate and convoluted and I have no idea how the author weaved it all together. I bow down to you, Cristin Terrill. I love that there was the two different points of view, one that was so completely in the present and the other that technically was as well, but just as equally in the future. There was such a HUGE difference between Em and Marina which was awesome character development. The emotions the characters faced, that I faced, were raw--I cried and hurt and loved like no other. Wow. The action scenes were intense, and there were times when I found myself holding my breath, waiting for what was going to happen next. It's deliciously action-packed and full of sci-fi goodness. 

What I didn't like: I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how the doctor became so crazy evil. I understand that he's incredibly ambitious and I can see how that would backfire into antagonist land, but so evil as to torture and even murder...eh, I'm only like 95% convinced on that front. 

Regardless of that, I loved this book, and I'm totally ready to run out and buy myself a copy. And recommend it to every sci-fi fan. With that being said, I hope you all had a wonderful Sci-Fi November and picked up some recommendations on the way. A big thank you to Oh, The Books and Rinn for organizing this great event and making it possible--you guys rock all kinds of awesome! 

-Annie

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all my wonderful readers. Whether you read my words via Tumblr, Twitter, or this blog right here, I am forever grateful for you all. Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh go us! We both reviewed the same book on the same day for Sci-Fi November! I totally get you on the Scientist being so evil, but I'm glad you loved it overall (like I did)!

    Thanks so much for participating and I hope you had a fun month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so fun! Glad we both liked it and thanks so much for helping organize this awesome month! :)

      Delete