Thursday, December 18, 2014

Cress by Marissa Meyer

(5/5 stars)

In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.
 

I'm incapable of making coherent thoughts right now, I loved this book that much. It definitely pulled me out of this weird book slump I was in. Wow, I love books, I love this book, I love this series!

What I liked: Cress. Cress is a great character. She's like the Rapunzel version of Felicity Smoak. Genius hacker, unapologetic fangirl. She's the perfect amount of adorable, socially awkward, character development-filled person (oh, um, Lunar). Her relationship with Thorne is perfect, OTP for life, and she brings out a whole new side of him that we only saw glimpses of before. The story is full of heart-stopping action scenes and tender moments of love and loss, it has everything I could ever ask for. Also, Levana is scary evil and one of the best villains by far. As always, our favorite cast of characters were back and I loved seeing them all work together in the end. All of my favorites in one place! Thank you! And we got to see a little bit of Princess Winter and I'm crazy excited for that book because she seems like all kinds of insane greatness. Lastly, I've said this before but it's important to repeat: This dystopian isn't just set in one place. The whole world is involved in this crappy situation. The setting is constantly changing and bringing its own conflicts into the central plot and that's brilliant writing right there. 

What I didn't like: I needed more Scarlett. I needed more of the book in her POV, but for reasons (I enjoy being cryptic), that wasn't possible. So I'm going to pout for a second and then get over it. And demand more of her in Winter. Plus, I don't want to wait a whole year for that book, waiting is a special kind of torture itself. 

So if you haven't read this series yet, how have you gone this far in life? Seriously, it's great, the whole thing is great. It constantly reminds me just how amazingly written books can be. Team KaiWolfThorne for life!

-Annie

P.S. Sorry guys, but I'm not planning on posting a review or entry next Thursday (aka Christmas). I plan on spending the day relaxing with my family and *hopefully* reading new books. I hope you all have a lovely holiday season, no matter what you celebrate, and it's full of happiness, love, and books!

No comments:

Post a Comment