Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Young Elites by Marie Lu

(3/5 stars)

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

So I'm incredibly split on this book. There were so many things I liked, but then certain things just didn't work for me and it's hard to explain why. So, just go with me as I muddle through this review and if it doesn't make sense, I'm going to apologize now.

What I liked: Adelina is full of darkness. She's not a hero character and I love that about her. She's that blurred line of good and evil and it's hard to trust her as the narrator. It's awesome. The world building is great, it's set in a past Italy of the sorts (or at least, that's what I was feeling by their names an whatnot) but it's full fantasy. The writing is very visual and believable. It was super fun to read and get into. I especially loved that at the end, it all turns out to be about the bond between Adelina and her sister. Sister bonds are a trope that I fully love, and the relationship between Violetta and Adelina is so complex.

What I didn't like: I'm not sure, I just couldn't get into it like I can with other books. For such a big cast of characters, I didn't care for a lot of them. There was nothing special about them, or anything that helped me distinguish between them. I can't remember who is who to be honest. There was also a big spoiler thing that happened and I didn't feel like fit in this book. It was something that maybe should have been saved for when I was more invested in the story. Like, I should have cared, but didn't. Oops.

Not going to lie, for as split as I am, I'm still going to read the sequel. Especially since my reasons for liking it had nothing to do with the actual writing of the book, just my reaction to it. I'm interested in finding out what happens next. So, fingers crossed and hopefully this review makes sense? Still not sure on that one...

-Annie

4 comments:

  1. I really love Marie Lu and the Legend series, and I was thinking about reading The Young Elites as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! You'll have to let me know what you think if you read it.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of Legend when we read it for Dr. Barnes's class, and I have a friend in that class now -- this is one of the books they had to read. I think she felt very similarly about it. Kind of think I might be skipping this one, so I really appreciate your review since we seem to have similar taste in books! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good idea haha especially since there are so many other great unputdownable books out there!

      Delete