Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Whole New World (a list by Annie)

There's just something so special about a book where the author has done a spectacular job at world-building. It's not an easy thing to do, and when done well, it can really jump start our imagination and impact us for quite some time. So here's a little toast to the amazing authors who do it so well. I had a very hard time narrowing my favorites down, so I had to include an honorable mention (if you don't mind and if you're indecisive like me, you don't).

My list of my favorite books with awesome worlds in them.

-The Gemma Doyle trilogy, by Libba Bray

Bray creates a world full of secret societies where women control the most powerful magic in the world and travel between realms as guardians. Not to mention, this entire world exists in Victorian England and the main character, Gemma, discovers it while at finishing school. Bray does a great job at creating the realm and makes it so magical, readers won't ever want to leave it. The series is full of adventures in the mysterious boarding school, the streets of high society London, mental institutions, etc. along with the magical realm and it's no wonder this makes the list.

-The Soul Screamers books, by Rachel Vincent

This is the story about a banshee (though the more accurate name for her species is bean sidhe) who is just discovering who she is and what the world around her is really like. There are grim reapers, demons, incubi, and more (basically there's any kind of creature you could ask for). Kaylee (our protagonist) can also travel through realms, but the other realm is much darker and more dangerous, and did I mention, full of soul stealing demons? The world of all the bean sidhes (is that the plural? or is it sidhi?) is dripping with mythology and paranormal darkness, and it's such an intriguing world to read about.

-The Luxe series, by Anna Godbersen

So I heard a rumor once that this series was going to be turned into a movie... a musical... the people who did Moulin Rouge (I'm not exactly a fan of the rumor but that was years ago so I doubt it's actually true). It would be an interesting thing to see visually though. It's not paranormal and there's not crazy world jumping or anything, but the thing that I really love about it is that it's set in 1899 in New York City. Basically, the best way to describe it is glamorous with lots of betrayal that's done in a semi-proper way. It's full of scandal and lies, but these people are upper class New Yorkers so they handle it the best way they can- with revenge. Think Gossip Girl at the turn of the century.

-The Shades of London series, by Maureen Johnson

One of my favorite book series right now, The Name of The Star series, is scary as scary can be (then again, I get easily terrified so maybe it's not that bad). The series takes place in present day London at the boarding school where Rory just enrolled, and almost died. But now she can see ghosts and boy is there a ghost going around London... yeah, it's Jack the Ripper (or at least it's a copycat of him). Cue the screams. The world revolves around a special police force that Rory ends up working with to figure out the identity of the ghost and stop him before he kills anyone else. I love the language of the "ghost hunters" and all their devices, and the fact that it's scary and takes place in London is definitely a bonus.

-Maximum Ride series, by James Patterson

Okay, I loved this series at first, but then it got a little bit too much. To be honest, Patterson probably should have stopped the series after The Final Warning, but to each his own (though the last and final book did not end the way I wanted it to- it kinda got weird). Anyway, I like to forgive Patterson because the world he created was so fascinating. I mean, children who are half human, half bird. How can you not think that's awesome?! The science behind the series is creepy, and since they get to fly around, there are a lot of interesting places that they get to go to. I recommend the series, but I would stop before it gets crazy environmental and annoying (just some advice- if you like that stuff, that's totally cool too!).

-The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling

It's impossible not to have this series on the list, it really is. I wish I could find the words to explain how much this series means to me and how magical of a world Rowling built, but the words will never do it justice. She gave us an escape, full of magic and adventure and a whole new vocabulary (I use some of those words on a daily basis, not going to lie), and we will be forever grateful. There's a whole Harry Potter generation and I think that's probably the coolest thing in the entire world. (Also, happy belated birthday to Harry and Rowling- and thank you for everything you've done for us).

Honorable Mention:
-The Mortal Instrument series, by Cassandra Clare
-The Darkest Powers series, by Kelley Armstrong
-Blue is for Nightmares series, by Laurie Faria Stolarz
-Evernight series, by Claudia Gray

Now, there's still probably a million more series that can go on the list, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. This means that you totally get to comment and let me know if I missed any super important ones. If you don't comment, I'm going to assume I'm right and that might be too big of a boost for my ego (this means, comment!). Next week, I'll be back with a brand new review so get excited for that! Here's what I'm reading!

The Beautiful and the Cursed, by Page Morgan (synopsis from Goodreads)

After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.

Hope you all have a wonderful end of the week/weekend/start of the week (really, it depends on when you read this), and don't forget to check back next Thursday for the next review! Also, comment with your favorite YA fictional worlds :)

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment