Thursday, August 15, 2013

I Get So Emotional (a list by Annie)

This list was inevitable, but I kept putting it off because I knew that I would want to read all these books again. They're just that good. They're the books that make you cry, whether it be happy tears or sad tears (usually sad ones, not gonna lie), but they're also beautifully written. These are the books that everyone always wants to talk about, and if you're out in public, you probably can find someone who's in the process of reading it right now (whether it's for the first time or the tenth). They leave you feeling impacted and they're empowering in the strangest sense, and you want to curl yourself up in a blanket to cope with the feelings of loss or hope or beauty. So here it is, my list of the most emotional books and why they're so compelling.

-The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green

I don't normally read cancer books, I just have a really hard time with them and someone always dies and it's too heartbreaking and yada yada yada. But this isn't your stereotypical cancer book. Not only has it been on the bestseller's list for, like, forever, but it's also written by one of my favorite people of all time. The fact that it was all people on tumblr could talk about didn't hurt either. So, yes, it's a cancer book where someone dies and it's absolutely heartbreaking, but it's about love. It's the love story of our generation. It doesn't matter that I started crying on page 229 and never really stopped (even if there were still about 100 more pages to go), it's one of my favorite books of all time. Why is it so effecting? Good question, dear reader. The way these characters talk is full of so much wisdom at such a young age, but when you look at what they're going through, it makes sense. Yes, you feel awful for them, but then again, you also have to admire them for going through so much and being the way they are. They're still optimistic and that's beautiful. I could go on for days and still feel like I don't have enough words for this book, but I'm going to stop.

-The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

This book, this movie, is everything. It's a coming of age story that has something for everybody. At one point or another, we all were Charlie, not specifically, but we felt out of place. We felt like a wallflower. We observed, but we didn't act. I love this story because Charlie really does come into his own because of the people that he surrounded himself with. Yes, he screwed up (big time. If you've read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about), but he learned from it. Sorry I'm being cheesy, but this book is about learning what works and doesn't work in life, and it has a certain feel to it (dare I say an infinite one?) that you'll carry with you until you reread it again.

-The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

I love this book. I love it so much, my eyes started to water when I was reading the synopsis on Wikipedia (it's been a while since I've read it). One of my favorite things about this book, besides the hauntingly beautiful story, is that it's written from the perspective of Death, who always remembers what color the sky was when he took certain people (amazing descriptions that are so crazy vivid). This is a book about words and the affect they can have on a person, or even a country (Mein Kampf). This isn't a Holocaust book, it's a book that centers around the Nazi involvement in Germany, and how much it effects the community of Jews and non-Jews alike. You'll laugh, you'll cry (a river), you'll empathize with characters in a way you never did before. You'll carry yourself differently afterwards, and you can't quite explain why, but it has something to do with The Book Thief you just know it.

-The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein

READ THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE A DOG. Or really any pet of any kind. Or if you just like animals. Or if you're human.The thing that really stayed with me in this book is that there's a myth that says if a dog is prepared, once he dies, he will be reincarnated as a human. Enzo, the dog, truly believes this myth and he just knows that he'll be human. Did I mention this book is written through a dog's perspective? Dogs see everything, they hear everything- they didn't just get the title "man's best friend" by being passive. This book really opened my eyes to the role that our pets play into our lives. Enzo saw love, life, and loss, and even though he couldn't exactly express it, he had real life emotions in each situation. He is full of hope, even when times are at their absolute worst, and it's contagious. I promise that when you've finished, you'll want to give your dog the biggest of hugs (no matter how hard they struggle, and boy is my little shih tzu not a cuddler), and you'll appreciate them more than you could ever have imagined.

-The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath

This isn't a YA book, but it's one of my favorites so it had to go on the list. It also didn't make me cry, but it was definitely full of emotions. I think my thing with this book is how drastic of a change there is with Esther at the end of the novel. I read somewhere that this novel mirrors Plath's own descent into madness, and maybe that's why I'm so fascinated by it. Plath writes incredibly well and that itself is an understatement. You feel what she feels. You don't want to, but you do and there are times when you need to step away from the book and remind yourself that You. Are. Not. Her. There's a mental illness there and it's scary how normal she might seem from the outside, but once you go inside,  it's fascinating. It also opens your eyes to how mental illness was treated then, shock therapy, and the scars that are carried with the person for the rest of their lives. She's just so messed up, guys. She struggles, and you're taken on the journey with her, but the issues she faces are very real. Depression. The search for an identity. Independence and an escape from the expectation to be a domestic woman. Seeing all these issues through her eyes and seeing the illness that becomes her makes for such an interesting story that can stand through time and be read by any generation and have the same effect.

Well, those are my top 5 and if you can't tell, this has probably been my favorite blog post so far. I know I have a lot to say, but don't we all when it comes down to the things that impact us in transcendental ways? I really hope you pick one of these up, you won't regret it. I would also love if you left a comment with a book that has had an impact on you. Those are always things you want to share.

Anyway, next week, I'll be reading Hysteria, by Megan Miranda. Here's a quick synopsis from Amazon:

Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others. 

In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again.

So check back for the review and don't forget to comment on your most emotional books! See you next week!

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment