Thursday, March 6, 2014

Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green and David Levithan

(4.5/5 stars)

Not going to lie, when I picked up this book I was hesitant. This was the last John Green book that I hadn't read yet and I've been very split on his books. I loved TFIOS and Looking for Alaska, but I wasn't a super big fan of the others. But people said it was good, and Good Reads said it was good, so I kept my fingers crossed and dove right in. Now I want to hit myself with the book for being hesitant at all. Will Grayson, Will Grayson was fun and funny and made me cry at the end out of happiness! 

What I liked: Both Will Graysons were so unique, each with their own set of problems that didn't completely intertwine, with the exception of their relationships with Tiny Cooper. They were equally laugh-out-loud funny in their own way, and had the right amount of teen angst that fit their personalities. I also think the way they handled sexuality was done quite well. Green and Levithan didn't walk on eggshells, instead they treated it like any other situation. The sky is blue, the grass is green, Tiny Cooper and one of the Will Graysons is gay. It is what it is. I'd like to send a round of applause to Green and Levithan for the way they wrote such good, supportive parents. That's not something super common in YA fiction. Usually the parents aren't involved in stories, and if they are, they're kinda lame and sucky. But not these parents. Anne Grayson is awesome! She doesn't blink an eye when her son comes out, and is nothing but supportive there after. Also, Mr. and Mrs. Grayson are good people that are always willing to help their son. 

The writing in this book is spectacular and the voices of the characters are spot-on. Yeah, Tiny got to be annoying at some times, but you still gotta love him and his determination to find love. That's what the book is all about, finding appreciation and acceptance.The final scene had me with a big smile on my face and tears forming in my eyes. It's a feel good book, and I couldn't ask for anything more!

What I didn't like: Sometimes, I got frustrated by the relationship between Tiny and Will (o.w.g.) because it seemed like 1) Tiny had no stake in the friendship and used Will as a convenience and 2) Will was way too passive about how he felt about their rocky friendship at points. I know his rules are to shut up and not care, but sometime you have to care and speak up (which he does eventually). I also didn't really understand why the other other Will Grayson had to apologize to Maura. Like, she was really crappy to him (times, um, a million) and I don't think he owed her anything. I get that it was for closure, but still, not every broken relationship brings closure. 

Now that I've finished reading all of John Green's books, I'm going to patiently twiddle my thumbs and pray for a new one. I'm also going to move on and read some more David Levithan because I really like his writing style! I'm so glad these authors teamed up and produced such a great book, it was such a joy to read! Oh, and DFTBA :)

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment