Thursday, February 12, 2015

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

(5/5 stars)

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I thought going into this one. I had heard great things, but I had my doubts. But then I read it and all my doubts disappeared. Y'all, this book is just straight up cute. 

What I liked: Harper is literally everything I wanted to be growing up. She's Homecoming Queen, Student Council President, crazy overachiever, head cheerleader, about to have her Cotillion, and bad guy-fighting Paladin. Okay, so maybe that last one is a recent wish of mine, but still. Girlfriend literally kills a bad guy with her high heel. Respect. Not only that but she lives in the shadow of her older sister's scandalous death and still manages to be herself. So Harper becomes this knight/protector to her sworn-enemy (who makes my heart swoon because snark) and shenanigans ensue. Of course, all this is happening while she's trying to prepare for Cotillion, which isn't a walk in the park itself. With a plot like this, I was expecting the book to be cheesy or overdone, but I'm glad to say it was neither. It took Southern life seriously, and did a great job world building inside our world. 

What I didn't like: There wasn't much. Or anything, really. I guess I'm still trying to decide how I feel about Ryan (Harper's boyfriend) and a certain situation that revolves around him, but that's pretty much it. No complaints here.

This book was fun, it was fast, it was intense, and it was everything I wanted. I'm really excited for the sequel. I'm especially looking forward to more Harper/David banter and interactions. Be still, my heart.

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment