Thursday, February 19, 2015

This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

(5/5 stars)

The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war.

Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.

This series has become one of my favorite sci-fi series ever. It's so sci-fi without feeling in your face complicated and I had a hard time putting it down. Living life is difficult when you can't put a book down. 

What I liked: This whole galaxy fascinates me. Each planet is so well flushed out and they've thought of every single detail. Try and find a plot hole in this universe, I dare you. Jubilee and Flynn are amazing, together and separate. Kaufman and Spooner know how to write the star-crossed lovers and I applaud them. The character development and personal growth that Jubilee goes through is inspiring. She's such an interesting character. The dreams at the beginning of each chapter are a beautiful touch and I enjoyed reading them--they were so beautiful and deep. The cameos by Tarver and Lilac made me so freaking happy, I just had to squeal, and I liked to see how they were involved in the plot line. Also, I love the whispers. So interesting and ethereal and there was that part at the end that had me tearing up and emotional. Wow.

What I didn't like: There was a point when I got bored of the whole "this is the last time I'm ever going to see him/her again. haha jk" plot. Make up your mind, is this really the last time you'll ever see each other or are you going to sneak back onto base/camp to find her/him? The latter, definitely the latter. But once all that was over and sorted out, I had no more complaints. 

I can't wait for the final installment that takes place on Corinth. I'm so incredibly excited and you should be too. Here's to hoping it has something to do with that hacker person they were talking about at one point. Fingers crossed!

-Annie

4 comments:

  1. THESE BROKEN STARS has been sitting on my bookshelf since Christmas, and your review of the sequel made me even more excited to get around to it! Thanks for this -- your reviews have inspired me to get back into book blogging myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! You'll have to let me know what you think of it. I can't wait to see your reviews on your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Annie -- I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! The post is up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Rachel! I'm absolutely touched :D

      Delete