Thursday, April 16, 2015

Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins

(4/5 stars)

"Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price. The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at Cotillion months ago, and best friend Bee has returned after a mysterious disappearance. Now Harper can return her focus to the important things in life: school, canoodling with David, her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie, and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove pageant.

Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done. The Ephors have decided they’d rather train David than kill him. The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can’t stay David’s Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trial that will either kill her . . . or connect her to David for life."

Okay, I'm about to get really Southern up in here, but seriously y'all, I love this series! It's so darn cute and charming. And the characters. Y'all, the characters. 

What I liked: I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I love Harper Jane Price. She doesn't take crap from anybody but she's perfectly polite behind all that Southern rage. She's basically all kinds of fierce. The challenges she had to go through were trying--physically and emotionally--but she manages to come out stronger than ever and full of grace. I love the culture presented in this book because it feels so small town. You've got the town festival and Miss Pine Grove pageant, which of course we all know are going to fall to pieces of Ephor evil. 

What I didn't like: Okay, so this book was kinda anticlimactic. Like for all the things Harper and David have to go through, I feel like the end was such a let down. And speaking of endings, I'm not a fan at how Harper handled the end (no spoilers, obvi). But this one left me wondering who the real evil is and what the series arc actually is, and y'all, these are things I just need to know.

That being said, there better be a third book and it better come out tomorrow because I need it. Now. It's a fun, fast, light read and I can relate to Harper on so many levels. Even though I'm not a Southern Paladin, Junior Class President, or Head Cheerleader. Minor details. 

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment