Thursday, January 23, 2014

Star Cursed, by Jessica Spotswood

(4.5 stars/5)
(and another beautiful cover! Like, the person who picks out these covers should get a gold star!)

So remember that one time when I raved like crazy about the first book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles, Born Wicked? Well, I'm going to do it again, y'all! Sometimes, when it comes to trilogies, the second book is left in the dust. Either it's not written as well, or it doesn't move the story along, or it's just plain boring. This is the opposite of that situation. Dare I say, I might have even liked Star Cursed more than the first book in the series? 

What I liked: I'm all about this story, and this book furthered it like no other. I loved being able to see the Sisterhood in action, and throughout the book, I felt as hesitant as Cate did about who to trust. You can feel the tension boiling as sister loyalties are tested and the end of the century creeps near. One of them won't survive it, and though I have my hunch, it really could be anyone. Star Cursed intensified my love for Tess and my distrust of Maura. It also made me feel for Cate every step of the way. She's grown into herself more and she's finally able to make decisions about crucial things by the end. Cate's become more independent, she's becoming a woman, and I couldn't help but to internally (and outwardly) cheer for her. Don't even get me started on the end! Something happens (as if I'm going to tell you!) that transforms Cate in the last three or so pages, and it's so well done I think I got goosebumps! 

What I didn't like: I know I mentioned how I loved the end, but there was a little part of the end that I didn't like. That's mostly because it caused my little shipper heart to break into pieces and cry a little ocean of tears. No big deal. I also really would have liked to see more of Rilla because I think her relationship with Cate could be something beautiful- fingers crossed for more of that in the third book. 

Okay, now, we have a long time before Sister's Fate, the last book in the series, comes out (due date August 14, 2014 according to Amazon- that might have broken my heart a little bit too!). But we must be patient, because it's totally going to be worth the wait, I can feel it! Also, read this book! Read this book, read this book, and feel the feelings!

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment