Thursday, July 31, 2014

Every Day, by David Levithan

(4/5 stars)

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

Everyone and their mother was telling me to read this book... literally everyone. The premise intrigued me, yes, but it was people's love for this book that made me pick it up. 

What I liked: Wow, David Levithan sure can write. That's even an understatement. Somehow, even though A changes bodies every day, A is still a strong character with a set personality. The voice is clear and consistent, but still takes on something different with each body A inhabits. It was full of beautiful sentences and life talks that were inspiring to say the least. I loved the message behind the story: it was all about falling in love and being yourself--super precious. 

What I didn't like: My only problem with this book is that I had so.many.questions. How did A get like this? Why does it happen? If there are others, where are they? There are so many unanswered questions that I've been racking my brain over. 

I'm just really glad I read this one, everyone was totally right about it. It sticks with you. I want everyone to read it, and then we can all talk about it for days. 

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment