Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, by Jennifer E. Smith

(4/5 stars)
(also, I really love this cover!)

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Why did this book make me so emotional at one o'clock in the morning? I was not expecting that, but it totally happened. I just love the idea of this book--meeting someone at the airport who you have a connection (no pun intended) with and that seals your destiny. I'd be lying if I said I never hoped for that every time I travel!

What I liked: So besides the premise, I loved the relationship between Hadley and Oliver. Even though it progresses quickly, it still feels completely natural and real. They have adorable banter and the chemistry is ridiculous (the good ridiculous). But, the thing that had me on the verge of tears was the father-daughter relationship. The emotions behind it all were completely warranted, but I liked how Hadley was able to grow up and try to forgive her dad. That was a great character arc for her, helping her grow, and I loved her for that. I'm also obsessed with the fact that Hadley just kind of takes off in London to try to find Oliver and then (Spoiler) successfully finds him against all odds--that's precious. 

What I didn't like: There were too many flashbacks for my taste that were in weird spots of the story. I know that we needed some background on certain situations for the story to work, but the placing of said background threw me off. It took me out of the moment, and I only glanced over those scenes... Oops...

Anyway, this is a lovely story about falling in love and growing up and if you're anything like me, you'll get a bit teary eyed at parts and then squeal out of adorableness at others. It's fun, it's quick, but it'll stick with you. 

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment