Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Art of Wishing by Lindsay Ribar

(4/5 stars)

He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.

Margo McKenna has a plan for just about everything, from landing the lead in her high school play to getting into a good college. So when she finds herself in possession of a genie's ring and the chance to make three wishes, she doesn't know what to do. Why should she put her life into someone else's hands?

But Oliver is more than just a genie -- he's also a sophomore at Margo's high school, and he's on the run from a murderer. As he and Margo grow closer, she discovers that it will take more than three wishes to save him.

A whole lot more.

So I've been meaning to read this book since January when it was recommended to me by my friend Rachel. To be completely honest, I wasn't expecting to love it, like it sure, but I didn't know if I could get behind a book about falling in love with a genie. Genies were supposed to be blue and provide comic relief and whatnot (yes, I've watched a lot of Aladdin). But Lindsay Ribar proved my stereotypes wrong and showed me that genies could be...um, sexy. 

What I liked: The authorial voice was flawless. Margo was so relatable with her sass and pop culture references. I felt like I was able to connect to her better because she spoke so realistically. Like, I want to be her best friend and jam out to musical soundtracks together. I also loved her reactions to Oliver. She didn't exactly go with the flow when secrets came out that she wasn't too happy about--she had spunk and spoke her mind, and when she needed her distance, she took it. I also love Oliver, he's adorable and now that I've read this book, I love genie books! He has his hobbies (which sometimes you don't get to see in romantic leads in YA) and gosh, that backstory brings tears to my eyes. 

What I didn't like: There were a lot of loose ties at the end that I wanted to see mended. And I'm sure they'll show up in the sequel (in fact, I'm almost willing to put money on it), but I wanted that instant gratification of knowing what happened to certain characters--namely Naomi and Vicky (I have a soft spot for Vicky, I really do). 

Genie books are cool. They're awesome. They're kickass. Now, if somebody finds a magical ring attached to an attractive genie, feel free to send it my way!

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment