Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sisters' Fate, by Jessica Spotswood

(5/5 stars)

A fever ravages New London, but with the Brotherhood sending suspected witches straight to the gallows, the Sisters are powerless against the disease. They can’t help without revealing their powers—as Cate learns when a potent display of magic turns her into the most wanted witch in all of New England. 

To make matters worse, Cate has been erased from the memory of her beloved Finn. While she’s torn between protecting him from further attacks and encouraging him to fall for her all over again, she’s certain she can never forgive Maura’s betrayal. And now that Tess’s visions have taken a deadly turn, the prophecy that one Cahill sister will murder another looms ever closer to its fulfillment.

This conclusion to Born Wicked and Star Cursed was everything I wanted it to be and then some. Days later, and I'm still not emotionally over it. I want to take a quick second here and thank Jessica Spotswood for such an amazing trilogy. Not only did she write a beautifully heart wrenching book, but did you know that she's also awesome on Twitter? She does a lot of interacting with fans and is super sweet so go follow her. Now, back to the book.

What I liked: Girl power to the max! There is so much rebellion and ignoring of the gender boundaries, and these girls can do anything. I love it. The Brotherhood (our antagonists) are deliciously evil, but I loved seeing that there were some good ones in the midst of it all. Which brings me to our group of rebels. Cate has my heart forever and ever as you all know, as does Finn (don't even get me started on my love for him because it does not end), but I want to give honorable mention to Alistair Merriweather. He starts out as an absolute tool, but totally redeems himself by the end of it. And there's something about him being a truth crusading journalist that adds to my liking of him. Plus, I totally want him and Rilla to end up together (short story epilogue or something like that pretty please?!). Rilla. My hopes that we would get more Rilla in this book were answered. She's my favorite character in the series. There's just something about her, how she speaks her mind and is stubborn and everything.

Now for the plot. Gosh, that plot. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions. I was laughing, and swooning, and crying... and more crying especially at the end. All my questions were answered, and everything flowed so naturally. I was heartbroken at the end, but also a bit happy? Like, I couldn't see it ending any other way.

What I didn't like: Nothing. I liked everything.

I wish I could go on for days about this book. Unfortunately, there aren't enough words to do it justice. So that just means that you have to get yourself to a bookstore and buy it (or start from the beginning) as soon as humanly possible. On your mark, get set, go!

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment