Thursday, August 14, 2014

Isla and the Happily Ever After, by Stephanie Perkins

(5/5 stars, but I want to give it more...)
Happy Release Day, Isla!

From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever.

Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.

Sweet baby Jesus, this book. So, I found this book at a bookstore (that will not be named because I don't want to get them in trouble or anything) four days before its release date and my life was instantly changed. Okay, fine, I'm being overdramatic. But I still can't stop raving about this wonderful book.

What I liked: I'm a super big fan of Isla. In fact, I think she's the Stephanie Perkins character that I find myself relating to the most. And that's really saying something (you all know my love for Anna and the French Kiss). Maybe I'm at that point in my life where I feel like Isla; always asking the questions Who am I? Where am I going? What do I want to do? Or maybe it's that we're the same height (strangely enough, I have a fondness for short characters). I loved watching her work out the answers to those questions--and not that she had everything figured out by the end, that's not real life. Her insecurities weren't overdone, she was raw in her emotions and concerns. I loved loved loved Josh. I liked him in Anna, but I feel in love with him in this one. His relationship with Isla is so precious and I was giggling from happiness quite a lot. Ask my cousin, she had to watch this scene go down. 

The book felt so artsy--obviously--and indie in a cool way that made it enjoyable. The fact that we got to go back to SOAP and France was magical. It's the perfect backdrop for a beautiful love story. As always, the Anna, Étienne, Lola, and Cricket cameos were everything I wanted. There's especially a super cute scene between Anna and Étienne that might or might not have made me tear up. Just kidding, it definitely made me tear up. 

What I didn't like: I literally can't think of anything that I didn't like in this book. Wow. That doesn't happen often. Maybe once my thoughts settle a bit, I'll think of something, but probably not. 

Here's what I learned: Stephanie Perkins is a genius and her books are perfect. I laughed, I cried, I smiled as bright as the City of Lights itself. 

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment