Thursday, April 17, 2014

Getting Over Garrett Delaney, by Abbey McDonald

(5/5 stars)

fjafdkafjkdlfdafkdlncklmejtijklsajfd (keyboard smashing translation: I loved this book). I loved this book so much that I gave it a hug after I finished it, a long hug and didn't want to let go. How do I even describe this book? Okay, how about this: A fun read about self-discovery, friendship, and independence filled with Gilmore Girl-esque humor and indie fab situations. Yup, that just about covers it.

What I liked: Um, everything. The story really hit me hard. It's about Sadie, who loves her best friend, Garrett, except he doesn't know it. So when he leaves for a literary summer camp, Sadie has no idea who she is without him. Cue up great scenes of trying to boy-detox, get a new job, and meet new friends, the journey Sadie takes is so real and relatable. She has to start over on her personality because everything she liked, she liked because Garrett did. Woah, that's unhealthy. Yes, yes it is and we get to watch Sadie realize that and discover who she really is. Girl power, man! Did I mention that she also happens to work with a super cute boy who can cook and is really sweet? Because hello!

I'm not even going to include a "What I didn't like" part because I have nothing to say on that subject. I honestly thought this book was going to be cheesy and cliche, and I'm so glad it wasn't. In fact, I think it's one of those books that every girl should read at some point in her life. It teaches important lessons about sisterhood and being yourself, and we all need to hear that every now and again. It's not condescending, but instead it's profound in a different way than I was expecting. I could go on and on for days, but I won't (ain't nobody got time for dat). Instead, I'll just run to the bookstore to buy a copy (since my copy was from the library) and make all my friends read it! Friends, you have been warned! :)

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment