Thursday, April 24, 2014

Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld

(4.5/5 stars)

This is the very first Steampunk book I've ever read, and it'll definitely not be the last. And, not only is Leviathan Steampunk, but it's also Historical meets Sci-Fi meets Fantasy/Adventure/Action meets everything I could ever ask for in a book! So basically, I was in love with this book.

What I liked: The world, oh my, the world. Set at the dawn of World War I, Westerfeld creates a world that not only separates the Allies from the Axis, but also the Darwinists from the Clankers. The Darwinists being the countries who use genetically modified creatures as their weapons, while the Clankers use giant machines. It's a beautiful alternate reality to what actually happened, and it is thoroughly believable in every way. Then, we move on to the characters. I can just feel the character development arc beginning and I can't wait to see where it goes, for both characters. Deryn (Dylan) disguised herself as a boy in order to join the air force, and she's almost a more convincing boy than the other male characters sometimes. She's straight up badass with a wicked spark of energy and you'll root for her to go all the way from the very start. Next is Alek, who starts off a bit pompous and entitled, though it's a bit expected since he's the son of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and now heir to the throne. No big deal. But he's smart and there's so much room for growth and it'll be awesome! Also, the pacing of the book was really well done and the nonstop action had me at the edge of my seat the whole time.

What I didn't like: Like I said two seconds ago, nonstop action, but the story didn't really start start until the characters meet about half way through. So, as much as I loved the characters individually, I enjoyed the book much more when they were put against each other and forced to interact. Their conversations and banter added to all the crazy that was going on plot-wise. So, I guess my problem was that I wanted more of the plot right away, even though I enjoyed the backstory that was necessary to set everything up.

Leviathan deserves every ounce of praise it's gotten, and if you haven't read this yet, you need to get on it. Even if it's not your genre, it has something for everyone and spreads across the genres, giving it that great multidimensional feel. It's a wonderful read and the series lives up to its expectations.

-Annie

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book - I'm actually reading Goliath (the 3rd one) right now, and just finished Behemoth yesterday. It's definitely heading its way towards one of my favourite YA series =)

    ReplyDelete